What is ISO 14001 – Environmental Management System?
ISO 14001 is the most widely used international standard for the environmental management of a company’s activities. The implementation aims at planning and effective management, while meeting the legislative and other requirements arising from the environmental conditions’ or general standard environmental commitments’ approval or general obligations as applicable to each company individually.
ISO 14001 is a generic standard that can be adapted to the specific characteristics of any business or organization, applicable and can be applied regardless of size and sector of activity.
ISO 14001 benefits
- Potential for improvement and more efficient use of energy, natural resources and waste utilisation, actions resulting in the reduction of the company’s operating costs
- Contribution to the gradual development of environmental awareness amongst all staff and management members
- Improvement of organisational structures
- Identifying weaknesses and implementing methods for continuous improvement
- Ensuring compliance with legislative and other requirements by providing documentation of compliance to the competent authorities and all stakeholders
- Enhancing the organisation’s public image and creating an environmentally friendly profile
- Competitive advantage for the organisation’s marketing
- Increased turnover and profits
- Possibility to use certification as a supportive means to access markets and tenders
Role of IDEC S.A.
- Assessment of current planning and infrastructure
- Consulting services to utilise structural and improvement opportunities
- Development of the required documents (Manual, Procedures, printed documents)
- Staff training
- Supervision of ISO 14001 requirements’ implementation
- Internal audit of all procedures
- Certification procedure support
- Management System monitoring and support according to the current needs following the initial certification
- Scientific support on relevant legislation and regulations